RAWROD Not

RAWROD (Ride Around White Rim One Day) was yesterday. It would have been my 4th in a row.

I'd been mental off and on for RAWROD for the last two weeks. I finally decided a long dose of sunshine and riding would be good for me.

I got away before noon on Friday and I arrived around 2 pm. With time on my hands I rode the Brand trails - EZ, Deadman's Ridge, Bar B, Rockin A, Circle O, then the new lower part of Deadman's. Bar B and Deadman's Ridge were my favorites.

Somewhere on Circle O.


The new lower part of Deadman's Ridge. The tread was very soft.




Then I headed to RAWROD camp.

The Fast Friday group reported lots of sand. Hmm.

The brats were as delicious as ever (thank you, Elden and Kenny).

The wind blew all night. I awoke at 3 am and got no more sleep.

Saturday morning was cold and overcast. After only a few miles up Horsethief road I couldn't feel my fingers or toes. Then it started spitting rain. By the time I hit the paved road I was thinking about bailing but went on. About half way to the Shaffer turnoff I saw Elden, Lisa and Blake coming my way. I immediately made a U-turn and joined them.

The weather was the main decider - I've done RAWROD in bad weather (2009) and wasn't in the mood for it this time. Also my legs had no punch. In short, I just wasn't feeling it.

I loaded up the car and decided to check out Canyonlands, since it was free this week.

On the drive in the car hit 100,000 miles. Also notice the temperature.


Grand View Point did not disappoint. I even spotted RAWRODers and the support vehicles.


Island In The Sky is a nice park, some good views, but not as interesting as Arches and other parks so I didn't stay long.

I stopped for a ride at Klondike Bluffs. By now the weather had improved to mostly cloudy and warmer. I went up Klondike Bluffs then peeled off onto Baby Steps where I rode a section I hadn't done before. More signs and markers have been added so finding and staying on Baby Steps is much easier now. The new section was fun to ride so I'm glad I found it.

More rain on the drive home, even snow at Soldier Summit.

Not what I had planned when I left home, but I enjoyed how plan B worked out.

3 comments:

Nate K. said...

Not a bad plan B at all. Cool photos. I would like to spend more time down there not riding bikes. Its just hard to go down there and not ride your bike.

South County Ciclista said...

I don't blame you. The rain is very cold out on the White Rim.

DJ said...

I was in Arches on Friday night and Saturday. The weather was OK for hiking but driving home after dark through the blizzard at Soldier's Summit was a pain.