Dead Shock part II

Go-Ride only does limited repairs on Fox and Marzocchi shocks. If I want my Manitou Swinger shock repaired I have to send it to Manitou, but they were just bought by Hayes and are in the process of restructuring and moving so it could be 2 months before I get the shock back and it will cost over $100.

So I asked about new shocks. The hot shocks this year are the Fox RP23 and the Marzocchi Roco, but both are over $300! So I started looking for used on eBay and RideMonkey - found a few interesting choices in the size I need.

On RideMonkey I found a guy who repairs shocks. I've sent him a few e-mails and feel it's worth trying - at only $50 it's my least expensive option. While the Manitou Swinger 4-way coil is not the perfect shock for my bike and riding, I've been pretty happy with how it's performed so repairing it seems like the way to go.

3 comments:

Eat Sleep MTB said...

You got to get your priorities right. If your shock breaks, you buy a new bike. That's what I would tell my wife anyway.

UtRider said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who offered that advice to Kris. Problem is, he suffers from a bad case of acute bike satisfaction. Amazingly, he seems to feel no desire to upgrade or change anything on either his road or mountain bike.

KanyonKris said...

With a sweet shock costing 1/3 what I paid for my current MTB, an argument can be made for buying a new bike. And since Todd got me looking at the 2008 Trek Fuel EX, I started getting excited by the latest techno-sales-speak propaganda.

But as Mark said, I'm generally happy with my Prophet. And I don't have the $ for a new bike right now. I know, boring. So hopefully I can get the shock repaired quickly and be out riding again. Isn't it about riding? :-)