Blackhawk Blaze

Saturday was the 2nd annual Fall Blackhawk, since we did a similar ride last year. Like last year: pleasant weather, the trails were in good shape, and we enjoyed riding with Jesse and Patty.

We parked at the Loafer Mountain trail head then went up Blackhawk, down Frank Young, across Rock Springs, down Jones Ranch, jogged over to Payson Lakes, down the Blackhawk then flew down Bennie Creek. 14 miles of outstanding single-track punctuated with a few technical features and only marred by some spots of dust.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

The first part of the ride with Loafer Mountain in the background.


The trail is fun, but even better when you add Fall scenery like this:






Jesse and Patty climbing the head of Beaver Dam Creek.






Jolene likes this tree - every Fall we've been down Bennie Creek this maple is lit up in deep red.

5 comments:

South County Ciclista said...

So how did you like ripping Bennie Creek? The banked corners are amazing right now and you can really carry a lot of speed. Too bad it didn't work out to ride with you. I think I was coming down the canyon as you were going up Sat. morning. Nice pics. It was too dark for my pics to do justice to the colors.

bikemike said...

thanks for the go-ahead to move to Utah, Kris but i don't think i could handle colors other than green or water and anything other than flat one dimensional terrain,on a bike, would probably kill me.
i will, therefore, enjoy your lovely state through your pictures.
oh, if you have a 10,000 ft. or so mountain lying around you're not using, just fedx it over and i'll be all good.

KanyonKris said...

SCC - Bennie was pretty nice. I had one slomo crash as my front wheel washed on in some soft dirt. And I chickened out on the two rocky drops (forgot the line on the 1st, flinched on the 2nd as it looks taller than years past). Still, very fun downhill romp. We were driving up at 9:30am.

bikemike - Yeah, I think all the brown here would freak you out a bit. Green is nice. And thick, oxygen-heavy air too. I'll see if anyone has a mountain here they want moved.

Watcher said...

Wow. I don't think I've been down there in close to a decade, and I'm not sure I've ever done Bennie Creek. Got to get down there, looks wonderful.

patty said...

thanks for the good times, we always like hanging out with you and jolene. It was a perfect ride and your pictures are great. i'm looking forward to the 3rd annual black hawk expidition and many more to come.