Kasanova Kade

Our youngest, Kade, just turned 6. As far as we can tell he's a normal boy - rambunctious, likes guns and fake fighting, etc.

Occasionally he'll even do cute stuff with Grandma, like make Christmas cookies. (He kept ducking the camera, but my wife was finally able to convince him to allow a photo of him in action.)



But last week we learned that Kade has been kissing a girl at school. Out of the blue he tells Jolene, "Mom, sometimes when the other kids go out to recess I stay behind and kiss Hailey." Jolene asked him if she tries to run away and he said no. She was a bit flummoxed and didn't know what else to say. We're both a little surprised he'd volunteer this info. Perhaps this explains his rather cavalier expression as he sits by her at a recent performance at school:



He is so smitten that he risked embarrassment by getting help making her a Christmas card (he needed help spelling). Here's the addressed card on his backpack:



On the card he drew a picture of a Christmas tree and said "Merry Christmas. Do you want to be boyfriend and girlfriend?"

I'm torn. On one hand I'm proud that my son has skills with the ladies. On the other hand he's only 6 and perhaps getting ahead of himself.

I keep telling myself it's harmless, but I wonder if it's still not an opportunity to have a little talk to him. I'm not going into the birds and the bees, but just ask him why he's kissing. Good idea or just let it run it's innocent course?

9 comments:

Andy H. said...

I know nothing about such things other than you probably should have kept the female in question anonymous to protect her reputation:)

StupidBike said...

I know nothing either except to say that it is awesome.

KanyonKris said...

Andy - I blurred out her last name. I hope this is enough identity protection for a kindergartner.

StupidBike - Glad you enjoyed it.

Kevin Vigor said...

I think everybody is missing the big picture here: you bought your child a Darth Vader backpack?!

// my kindergartener has now gone through four boyfriends. Apparently kissing is involved. I like to think this is relatively normal and harmless.
// somehow the pride thing doesn't work quite the same when your child is a girl.
// the envy, a little bit the same.

KanyonKris said...

Kevin - that's the backpack he picked out. Aside from his girl kissing, I'm also troubled by his preference for the dark side (Vader, Maul, The Emperor). Probably just another innocent childhood fad, but as his father (!) I can't help but feel a little irrational concern.

Four?! I feel better, thanks.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Mandy has had boyfriends since she was 3. When she started elementary school she was introduced to kissing tag. The teachers and parents quickly put a stop to it, but it took some persistence. As far as having a boyfriend we don't care as long as they follow the rules which is no kissing or holding hands. By not making a big deal of it Mandy tells us about all of her boyfriends and the drama that goes with it, and believe me there is drama...such as I can't decide who I should marry. Anyway if you don't make a big deal about it then Kade will probably keep you informed. BTW Kade will probably have a lot of girlfriends, because he has only sisters and is comfortable around girls which means the girls will like him. Good luck.

Watcher said...

Darth Vader backpack and a girlfriend at age 6? Your kid is the coolest kindergartner I know. When my boy was 6 all he cared about was dinosaurs. Actually now he's 9, and that's still pretty much all he cares about. That and sharks...

Anonymous said...

I say call up the little tramp's mom and give her the business.