Taking On Cancer

Cancer isn't a fun topic, but I hope you'll hear me out.

Cancer has been hitting close to me lately. The president of the little company I work for has cancerous tumors in his brain (Glioma grade 4 - the worst). A guy in the next town who I see on the trail and ride with occasionally, his son has Leukemia and is going on his 2nd treatment. My father was treated for Prostate cancer a few years ago. And Susan Nelson, the wife of Fat Cyclist blogger Elden, is having a terrible fight with metastatic breast cancer.

Elden has been very open about Susan's battle and I've been moved several times by the awful reality of this disease and what it takes from people (and their family and friends). So when Elden announced his plan to raise the most money ever for the LIVESTRONG Challenge, dedicated to Susan, I signed up. I don't like asking others for money, but this is a good cause I believe in so I'm going to do it.

It should be pretty obvious why I care about fighting cancer. It's a nasty disease. It causes 25% of deaths in the U.S. and other developed countries. It can strike at any age. We should do something about it - and lots of people are - and now I am.

And I'm optimistic. I really believe better therapies for cancer are near. In fact, I fully expect most cancers to have cures in my life time. Medical science is advancing at an amazing rate. The human genome has been mapped and scientists are discovering it's secrets - some of which may lead to cancer cures. But it won't happen without effort. And that's another reason I'm in this fight - I believe it can be won.



The Lance Armstrong Foundation was started after Lance survived his battle with cancer (and went on to win the Tour de France 7 times). The fight is personal with Lance and you can see that intensity in everything the Foundation does. They support people with cancer, promote prevention and fund research. I've heard several personal accounts from people who tell how the Lance Armstrong Foundation helped them in important and meaningful ways. I am confident that the money I donate and raise will be used well.

There are two ways you can get involved: Raise funds for the Fat Cyclist Team, or donate to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

If you want to join the team, just select the LIVESTRONG Challenge event you'd like to attend: Austin, San Jose, Seattle, or Philadelphia. If you don't plan to attend, you can join as a virtual team member. You could even win some great prizes that were donated to Elden.

If you'd just like to donate money to the Lance Armstrong Foundation, CLICK HERE.

The cause is good, the war can be won, and you'll be helping people. That's something I can support, and I am.

9 comments:

Ski Bike Junkie said...

Lance was actually 7 for 7 post cancer. Whether he was clean or not is another matter.

KanyonKris said...

You're right. Correction made.

Fatty said...

Thanks for doing this, Kris; I really appreciate it.

KanyonKris said...

You're very welcome, Elden.

Getting out of my comfort zone to raise some money is tiny compared with the load you're bearing at home and the work you're doing to organize this team fight against cancer. It's a good cause and I'm happy to be onboard.

KanyonKris said...

A big thank you to Alex who made a very generous donation! I was surprised and moved - really. I have no idea how this will fundraising will go, so when I received this donation it really gave me a boost.

Since this donation exceeded my minimum fundraising goal of $250, I've doubled it to $500 to give me something bigger to shoot for. And I plan on continuing to double the goal each time I reach it.

goat said...

Here's a thought about cancer:

Why do we say people who have cancer are "fighting" or "battling" and that cancer is a "war" to be won? I find the metaphor inadequate...it seems to suggest that money for the "fight" will be used to buy tanks and guided missiles rather than pay for medical support and research grants...and while the usage may not be an affront to those with cancer, it certainly is to language--as common as it may be.

That's all.

KanyonKris said...

It seems to me that metaphors are always risky - the comparison will either add or reduce clarity / understanding. And since the imagery invoked by the metaphor varies from person to person, it's a tough call whether to use it or not.

Personally I like the war metaphor for cancer. In my mind I see the doctors, researchers, drugs, therapies, surgery, etc. as the soldiers and weapons in the war. And wars are long, hard-fought affairs. Works for me. Maybe the war metaphor is on the dramatic side, but perhaps warranted?

patty said...

I was looking to get a hold of jolene about a trip i want to plan to st. george in january over a weekend. i misplaced you guy's number. can you have her email me or call me? thanks, patty. (patty.sorenson@gmail.com).

KanyonKris said...

Patty - Will do.