Man Camp 2011

With the girls in St. George to watch The Little Mermaid at Tuacahn it was time for Man Camp (a registered trademark of Josh McCarrel).

Tuesday we loaded our packs and headed up Dry Canyon around 7 pm.

The shade in the canyon was welcome for the hike up.

We arrived at the meadow around 8, setup the tent and started a fire to cook dinner. Everything tastes better cooked over a fire, even the lowly death tubes (hot dogs). Kade roasted a Cheeto and had me taste it - it was awful, like scorched styrofoam. Some scouts down at the first fire pit gave us some smores supplies as they were heading out, very kind.

Note: Those giant campfire size marshmallows do not work for smores. They're so big it's nearly impossible to get the center gooey without burning the outside. Stick with the normal size.

At dark we walked to the edge to look at the city lights.

As we settled into the sleeping bags some animal crashed through the brush, it was probably just a deer but it didn't help Kade get to sleep. I didn't get much sleep either. But it was a perfect Summer night - chilly but not cold, clear sky, just the faintest breeze.

In the morning we started the fire briefly to warm up. We went for a little hike around the area. Then returned and packed up.

The hike down was quick. A few mountain bikers went by, getting in a ride before work.

We finished off the day with a 3D movie (Rio) and miniature golfing at Trafalga.

Thursday was spent at the Lindon pool.

We had a good Man Camp and I enjoyed spending time with my son. He's a great kid and I like being reminded how simple and joyful life is as a young boy.


Nate K. said...

What a cool Dad!

JoshuaMcC said...

I'll overlook the failure to secure the proper permissions to organize your own "Man Camp".
Looks like you guys had fun. Also, you didn't have to drive two hours to get there. Well played.

KanyonKris said...

Nate: Just the blog distortion effect, I only blog about the good stuff.

Josh: I sent the form, with enclosed check - must have been lost in the mail.

We're taking baby steps, keep it simple. I didn't want to drive 2 hours and risk the boy wanting to go home at 1 am. With this overnighter a success, we'll go bigger next time.