Is The Dirt Ready ?

It was near 50 today (Saturday) so Jolene and I decided to ride our mountain bikes from our house up into the foothills to see if there was any dry dirt to ride. We climbed the steep, paved road above the Orem Cemetery to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (BST) trailhead. The BST was dry so we decided to see how far we could go. It was dry all the way up the first climb, then we hit this patch of snow and mud:



It'll be at least another week before these areas that don't face south dry out.

So we went back and tried the dirt service road. It was pretty dry all the way up, but has some wet spots and ruts. Good enough for mountain bikes. But once we reached the top, the road turns north and it was wet and sloppy, just like it is every Spring until a good stretch of warm days drys it out. So we went back down.

Off the side of the road I tried to get a little air. Weak, but I was just fooling around. I'm not a big air guy anyway.



Doesn't the landscape look nice? Dead and ugly. But Spring will work it's magic soon enough.

Just a short ride motivated by the hopeful excitement that Spring is coming. And even though the snow and muck stopped us, it was still nice to get in 2 miles or so on local dirt.

2 comments:

Eat Sleep MTB said...

Thanks for the update on my backyard. I thought about trying it this afternoon, so instead I will hit the road. If the sun persists, I will test it later this week and report.

Rick Sunderlage said...

Good trail report. I've eyeing this as I drive to work everyday and was going to check it out this week. Maybe I'll wait another week.