Zion In Spring

After Jolene and I raced the Cholla Challenge Saturday, Sunday was family time in Zion National Park. If I haven't been to Zion for a while I forget how tall it is - towering red sandstone cliffs and white peaks over 1000 feet high.



First up was the Emerald Pools. The kids did fine on the hike and we enjoyed walking under the waterfalls below the lower pools.





Then we hiked to the upper pools. The waterfall is coming out of Heaps Canyon, which I hope to descend (canyoneer) some day.



The kids had fun playing in the sand and wadding.





Jolene and I relaxed, watched the kids play and took in the scenery - especially the magnificent sandstone walls.





Next was Weeping Rock with the short hike up to the mossy cliffs dripping with spring water. Here we encountered our first animal, a Mule Deer. We also saw some turkeys, squirrels and an iridescent green beetle.









Next was the Temple of Sinawava, my favorite place. We went up the river walk to the end where the canyon starts to really narrow. I would have liked to go up further, but the river flow was too high.





We returned to the visitors center and drove out to the east side. The kids loved driving through the 1.1 mile tunnel. The rock on the east side is amazingly varied, with the Checkerboard Mesa the highlight.



We drove out of the park as the sun was setting and slept well that night - exhausted from all the hiking. A really enjoyable day spent together.

1 comment:

Brad Mullen said...

I can't imagine getting my skinny, white legs in the Virgin River this time of year. It must have been freezing! Prior to my biking days I did a lot of Canyoneering in Zion's, but alway when the water was more to my liking. Your kids will have great memories of this trip.