Solitude Race - Executive Summary

I'm a travelogue guy. I tend to give all the details, usually in a not-so-entertaining, matter-of-fact way. So let me spare you the blah-blah with this executive summary:

Carpooled with Mark. Cooler than the valley. I toppled into a hole. Saw a moose. 3 snow patches. Endoed crossing one. Pre-ride lap felt good in middle ring. Tried to start out fast, just can't. Climb in small ring hurt - gasping for breath, rode slow. Some bad etiquette - racers who stall and don't get out of the way. Downhill rougher than I remembered, but kind of fun. DH guys ripped by me. Couldn't stay with Andy. Jim climbed hard and stayed with me on DH - we finished together. After race talked to KDay and met teammate Greg. Chocolate milk good recovery drink. Won shorts in raffle. Went home.

I'm not sure what it was, but I felt I should have been able to climb faster. A little frustrating. But it was good to see so many folks and chat. I left feeling kind of, eh. Maybe I'll try another Solitude race just to see if I had an off day, or I simply stink at MTB racing.

Update: The (2) people have spoken in favor of more details. So I'll bring the "falling into a hole" story out of the comments:

I was pre-riding and going slow around a hole (probably dug for the base of a new lift tower) when my front wheel hit a clump of grass and stopped and I tipped toward the hole (since that was where I was looking - doh!). I unclipped and stuck my foot out into air as I toppled over and into the hole. Mark said I just disappeared. The hole is 5-6 feet deep with a vertical side where I fell in. I banged my forearm, but nothing big. When I came to rest I started laughing. It was just so comical. The cartoonesque foot trying to stand on air, toppling over the edge, leg flailing to find something solid to break my fall, landing in soft dirt, getting untangled from the bike. Pretty funny and embarrassing crash.

8 comments:

MOCougFan said...

Nice details Kris. Did the moose chase you?

Andy H. said...

I like your full detail long posts better but maybe I just have too much time on my hands:) It was good seeing you last night. That climb has a certain nack to it in that the more you do it the better it goes. Next time you do it you'll probably drop me.

StupidBike said...

That climb is mean, but like AH says, it gets a groove to it. You fell in the lift tower hole? I missed it, dang. Details are good

Anonymous said...

i thought you were done racing? looks like maybe you have a problem. racers anonymous?

UtRider said...

I'm with Andy, the long reports are much better! I can't wait for next Tuesday. It will be fun to have both you and Jolene at the race. Any chance of carpooling up in your van? :)

KanyonKris said...

dug - Mark (UTRider) made me do it! I'm trying to cut back on races, but keep getting sucked back in. I'm a victim!

Actually, I'm a sucker for anything new. I hadn't done the Solitude midweek race before so I gave it a try. For some reason, even though the course is tough, I like it. But it was still a race and I'm getting burned out on racing.

That was the last one, I swear! OK?

Step 1: I admitted I am powerless over racing and my life had become unmanageable.

KanyonKris said...

stupidbike - I was pre-riding and going slow around the tower hole when my front wheel hit a clump of grass and stopped and I tipped toward the hole (since that was where I was looking - doh!). I unclipped and stuck my foot out into air as I toppled over and into the hole. Mark said I just disappeared. The hole is 5-6 feet deep with a vertical side right there. I banged my forearm, but nothing big. When I came to rest I started laughing. It was just so comical. The cartoonesque foot trying to stand on air, toppling over the edge, leg flailing to find something solid to break my fall, landing in soft dirt, getting untangled from the bike.

OK, maybe some of the details are intersting.

Anonymous said...

Kris I like reading the details, the edited version is just not as good.

Kendra